- Once you have downloaded and extracted tomcat , you will see that is has a directory structure like the diagram to the left.
- bin – Startup and Shutdown scripts. Both windows (.bat files) and linux (.sh files)
- conf – Configuration files for the server and configurations common to all webapps
- lib – Library files (JAR files) that can be accessed by all webapps
- logs – Log files, this is where your system.out.printlns will go
- webapps – This is where the individual webapps are stored.
- work – When Tomcat compiles JSP files, the generated class files are stored here.
- Note: This is how Tomcat is setup out of the box and we will mostly be sticking to this structure. However this structure can be changed through the modification of configuration files and environment variables.