- A web application is an application that can be accessed over the web (commonly through a web browser).
- In Java Enterprise Edition a webapp refers to a collection of resources that make up a web application designed to be run in a Java EE web container.
- To do this a webapp conforms to various standards and uses various technologies such as (Servlets, JSP etc)
- This makes webapps portable, they can be run in any standards compliant web container without modification.
- A web container can contain multiple webapps.
- Examples of web containers include Tomcat, JBoss and Glassfish.