- Systems/applications that manage and model all of an organization’s processes.
- Consist of many separate and potentially very different systems
- Use many different applications and technologies
- Exist on many different platforms (Windows, Linux etc) and on many different hardware architectures
- Spread out over many physical machines
- Dynamic: Technologies / Processes involved may require regular changes to match changing business requirements
- Both during development and ongoing once implemented
- Share data and services with many other systems including legacy systems